Name: Helen Culshaw
Company: Ascendancy Internet Marketing
Length of time in current role: 10 years
1. Describe your current job, in one sentence.
I run a digital marketing agency in Shifnal, our key
services being search engine optimisation, Google
AdWords management, and web development.
2. What is your proudest achievement?
We recently celebrated 10 years in business with a
birthday themed party for clients past and present,
suppliers and other people we’ve worked with. It was a
great reminder of how much we’ve achieved since 2004.
3. And the most difficult challenge you’ve had to
Turning myself into a salesperson!
4. Explain some of the big issues in your industry right
There is still no real regulation of our industry – there’s
not even a proper definition, for example, of what ‘search
engine optimisation’ is. Potential clients are generally very
confused when different agencies tell them something
completely different, with prices that vary enormously. It
would be good to see some strong, recognised quality
standards in the marketplace.
5. What are the best, and worst aspects of your job?
Best – Learning about the vast array of businesses that
are out there in Shropshire and beyond. I learn something
new every day!
Worst – Juggling lots of projects and also home life at the
6. What makes you smile, and what keeps you awake at
Smile – A lovely comment from a happy client. One of
our clients has taken to calling me Yoda – I hope that’s a
Keeps me awake – When we have a really tough deadline
7. How do you think your colleagues would describe you?
Enthusiastic, knowledgeable, slightly eccentric
8. If you could go back 10 years, what would you do
I would probably have grown the business faster, knowing
what I do today.
9. How do you chill out and relax after a busy day?
My kids – I have an eleven year old and an eight year
old – keep me very busy! And I sing with the Beaumaris
Singers in Newport.
10. Tell us something about you, that people probably
I once got paid for eating chocolate.
* Want to give us your answers? Download the questionnaire here