Name: James Keay
Company: Select A Skip UK Ltd
Length of time in current role: 18 years
1. Describe your current job, in one sentence.
Managing director of a nationwide skip hire and waste management firm.
2. What is your proudest achievement?
Being able to offer employment to other people, especially through the difficult years of the the last recession.
3. And the most difficult challenge you’ve had to overcome?
Being a father !
4. Explain some of the big issues in your industry right now?
Changes to interpretation of waste streams for landfill tax treatment.
5. What are the best, and worst aspects of your job?
The best – only being accountable to yourself
The worst – never being able to switch off as you’re effectively always on duty.
6. What makes you smile, and what keeps you awake at night?
Having a loving family makes me smile.
Generally never switching off thinking about work keeps me awake
7. How do you think your colleagues would describe you?
Approachable, fair and easy going
8. If you could go back 10 years, what would you do differently?
Nothing, I never have any regrets. Life is too short so enjoy each and ever day – past present and future
9. How do you chill out and relax after a busy day?
Going for a run, a walk with the dog or just relaxing with my family
10. Tell us something about you, that people probably wouldn’t know?
I am an open book who wears my heart on my sleeve . . . so I have few secrets about myself